Sunday 30 March 2014

Fractions

32 in 8 groups

today I worked with mr. Carlin, we going over some of my work and came across that I hardly know division. Mr Carlin says "I think you might be being a little tough on yourself Ryan, I see that your tables grids are mostly complete and I know that division is simply a reverse of multiplication. So I think you have the foundations we just need to help you unlock the knowledge".


The question 3/8 of 320.

Firstly Mr. Carlin got me to count out 32 blocks then we had a little discussion about numerators and dominators we decided the important part of this was the denominator this told us how many groups we needed to make i broke 32 into 8 groups there were 4 in each group. I was able to work out that when I increased the number to 320 the 4 became 40. Therefore 1/8 equalled 40. I calculated 3/8 by adding 40 3 times. I did this by 4 + 4 + 4. This gave me 120 I then used a calculator and subtracted 120 from 320 to give me my answer of 200.


No comments:

Post a Comment